Program Facilitator Rhiannon Barry is a podcast host and producer and a Creative with an education and background in journalism-communications, community service work and psychological counselling.
An In-Studio Mentorship Program
Trendy and growing in popularity Podcasting is quickly becoming the mainstream form of broadcast communications, journalism, activism, promotions and personal expression. In this 6-part Project Curriculum, I engage participants in developing and producing a Signature Podcast.
Podcasting is unique in that it also includes opportunities to develop hard skills in audio engineers and editing content, graphic design, broadcast production and project coordination. It also develops interpersonal and teamwork skills, expand your creativity, creates a sense of accomplishment and self-worth and is an experience that can be added to a CV.
This 6-part over 6-weeks Intro to Podcasting program supports and encourages participants through the creative process of developing an idea through to a ready-to-broadcast episode. I produce your pilot episode while sharing knowledge in these areas:
• Developing a collaborative or individual creative vision for a podcast
• Critical thinking and responsible understanding for broadcasting communications
• Research methods and Interviewing skills
• In-studio Immersion- Hands-on Equipment and Technology lessons
• Hand-on sound mixing and editing
• Creating an account: Hosting platforms and publishing
• Cover art/ Graphics design shortcuts
• SEO and promotions to grow an audience
• Future Planning: Partnership, Sponsorship, Grants, Promotions to support your creative project
• I am available to answer questions by request through email and zoom between sessions if you need extra support.
• A signed photo and liability release form are required to publish pictures and audio and be in the studio.
• In the end, I will give you the password to the accounts used and access to the Pilot episode, which will remain private until released to the public by you.
Individual or Duo (online over zoom) Cost: $1375
Group Cost: $3000
*Max 4 participants in a studio session. (In-studio space is limited to 5 people. We can add studio sessions for $250 each if your group is more significant. *see curriculum below
From Seed Ideas to launching your first Episode in a professional environment, with support for independent groups.
Preparation upon registration:
- Prepare for our first serious by doing some research. Listen to 5+ podcast episodes on topics of your interest and evaluate each one using our provided critical thinking evaluation sheet.
Part 1: In Classroom Creative Development Group Session 3 Hours
- Critical thinking and podcast examination
- Brainstorming topic ideas and themes
- Deciding on a style and tone
- Establishing the vision, mission, name, cover art ideas, and intended audience
- Prepare a 2–3-minute opinion piece of any topic of interest
Part 2: Welcome to the Studio (Niagara Falls) 3 Hours
- Communications broadcasting equipment and technology overview
- Recording opinion pieces and listening
- Sound mixing and editing software overview
- Pilot Episode considerations and wishlist with our worksheet
Part 3: In Studio Development and Production (Niagara Falls) 3 Hours
- Wordsmithing and recording Intros and Outros
- Group Work-Planning the Pilot Episode development
- Interviewing and Reporting Laws and Ethics-a brief overview of slander and ethical interviewing
- Sponsorship rules and regulations-Recording mock sponsorship advertisements
- Copywrite laws
- Develop your talking points further with our worksheet
Part 4: In Studio Recording & Editing Pilot Episode (Niagara Falls) 3 Hours
- Recording Pilot
- Intro to Editing
- Use our tips to develop your signature podcast cover art
Part 5: In Classroom-Cover Art & Creating a Spotify Account
- Creating the cover art and templates for promotions using design software shortcuts.
- Choosing a cover art.
- Creating Accounts and Uploading Episodes: Anchor/Spotify/ Soundcloud
*Participants, please bring your tablets, computers, or phones to digitally create final changes to the cover art.
Part 6: In Classroom-Publishing Your Podcast 3 Hours
- Listening party
- The importance of building a cohesive brand
- SEO, hashtags, creating a listening audience and joining podcaster communities
- Where to find guests
- Future Planning: Grants, bursaries, awards, donations and sponsorships overview, Future episode ideas